Thursday, December 17, 2009

3D: The (far from) Final Frontier

So my brother surprised me this afternoon with tickets to Bend's midnight showing of Avatar in 3D. Initially, I had mixed feelings about seeing James Cameron's new film on anything other than a certified IMAX screen, but it turns out the only "IMAX" screen in Oregon is less of an IMAX screen and more of a glorified run-of-the-mill movie auditorium that boasts a slightly larger film ratio... and that's it. These counterfeit IMAX experiences were big news a few months back, mostly because the average moviegoer has no idea they are being duped by paying more for only a slightly crazier cinematic trip.

Having seen both The Dark Knight and Watchmen in 100% legit IMAX auditoriums, I can attest to the difference the awe-inspiring screens provide for a viewing. The image before the viewer is literally SO big and lucid that it's all-consuming. There is no alternative but to become completely immersed in the world of the film. And that's what I wanted with Avatar... especially since it's in 3. Freaking. D.

But alas. I'm relegated to the meager technological wonders of Oregon, and I'll take what I can get. Tune in tomorrow for my thoughts on what's about to go down...

No comments: